Education, Society, and Culture PhD
Become an Educational Researcher in Today’s Highly Diverse School SystemAre you interested in a career as an educational researcher, university professor, or teacher-scholar? If so, UCR’s Education, Society, and Culture PhD degree is a great way to gain the knowledge you need to succeed in these expanding fields. The doctoral program is part of the Graduate School of Education, which U.S. News and World Report ranked among the best in the state of California. A federally-designated Hispanic-serving research university, UCR’s location in the heart of inland Southern California allows us to provide you with rigorous methodological and conceptual tools to engage in research with diverse student populations, which fosters greater understanding of the 21st century’s growing K-12 challenges.
During your five years of doctoral study, you will work closely with distinguished professors in research projects exploring solutions to our nation’s most pressing educational challenges.
Through the PhD program you will develop exceptional research, writing, and presentation skills. A highlight of the PhD program for many students is the opportunity to present their research findings and writing at prominent national education conferences.
“I chose the PhD program in Education, Society, and Culture so that I could pursue a career as a faculty member. The GSOE experience also provided me the teaching and research opportunities necessary to allow me to pursue a dissertation research project in my field of interest (environmental education).” -Teresa Lloro-Bidart, Assistant Professor, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Highlights of the Education, Society, and Culture PhD Program
- Study with interdisciplinary, award-winning faculty who approach issues of educational inequity through sociocultural and historical frameworks and methodologies.
- Customize your PhD to fit your specific career goals through your selection of elective courses.
- Following completion of required and elective courses and a qualifying written and oral presentation, research and write your doctoral dissertation.
- Earn a multi-year fellowship to pay for your doctoral degree program.
- Graduate to become an educational researcher who will help devise the best solutions to today’s most pressing educational challenges.
- Check out fellowship opportunities that may be available to help with the cost of your PhD program.