Educational Psychology PhD
Equip Yourself for a Career in Higher Education or Scholarly ResearchMultiple career options are available to you when you earn a doctoral degree in Educational Psychology from the University of California, Riverside. Graduates of the program become university teachers and educational researchers. In addition, many take positions with government agencies and private industry. The PhD program has an excellent track record of graduates finding career positions in their chosen field
UC’s Riverside campus in inland Southern California is ideally located for students to conduct research among the dynamic and ethnically diverse K-12 student populations in the region. As a PhD student, you will collaborate with professors and other doctoral students on multi-million dollar, grant-funded research projects designed to enhance learning and the educational experience for students not only throughout California, but nationwide.
As a full-time PhD student, you can typically complete the program within 4 years. Because of the importance of the research to public and private funding organizations, there are opportunities for full-time doctoral students to have PhD studies completely funded by grants and fellowships.
Highlights of the Educational Psychology PhD
- Study as part of a small cohort of PhD students that form an apprentice-style relationship with professors who are renowned experts in the field of Educational Psychology.
- Gain both substantive knowledge and methodological skills in the area of Educational Psychology through required courses, research internships, teaching opportunities, and both oral and written examinations.
- Write and defend your doctoral dissertation, the culmination of everything you’ve learned through the Educational Psychology PhD program.
- Choose from two specializations to fit your career aspirations: Cognition, Motivation, and Student Learning, which is focused on developmental and learning processes or Quantitative Methods, which trains graduate student to critically examine educational data, develop statistical analyses, design data collection plans, and create instruments targeted to illuminating research questions.
- Participate in a doctoral program that is part of a Graduate School of Education that U.S. News and World Report ranks among the best in California.
- Develop exceptional research skills while working on multi-million dollar funded research projects.
- Check out Fellowship opportunities that may be available through this PhD program.