Higher Education Administration and Policy PhD
Equip Yourself to Tackle the Challenges of Education TodayUCR's Higher Education Administration and Policy PhD is an excellent program for those who seek to improve their administrative practice or have a deep desire to engage in educational research. Among our students are faculty members, deans of community colleges, and administrators at state colleges and universities from throughout California.
Through this PhD program you will be a part of a small cohort of doctoral students who work closely in an almost apprentice-style relationship with faculty on multi-million dollar funded research projects. Areas of current research exploration include, but are not limited to:
- Higher Education Diversity
- Community Colleges
- Faculty Specialization
- Higher Education Equity
- Financing Higher Education
- State and Federal Policies
- Nontraditional Students
- Campus Climate
- Management and Governance
The doctoral program is a rigorous immersion in theory and methodology that will provide you with the tools and knowledge you need to research and understand the complex challenges facing higher education administration and policymakers today.
Highlights of the Higher Education Administration and Policy PhD Program
- Study with renowned faculty who are widely recognized experts in the field of education administration and policy.
- Take a minimum of 18-19 courses relating to the focus of your academic and research interests.
- Complete your PhD in four to six years depending on your research interests and your ability to study full-time.
- Fund your doctoral studies through research fellowships when you pursue your PhD as a full-time student.
- Write journal articles with your professors and have opportunities to present your research findings at international conferences.
- Attend graduate classes that meet in the late afternoon and evening to accommodate the schedules of working professionals.
- Be part of a doctoral program where work experience in higher education and a solid foundation in the social sciences are advantageous, but not required.
- Complete a doctoral dissertation on a research topic of your choosing and prepare for its oral defense.