School Psychology PhD
Become a Skilled Practitioner and Innovator in a Dynamic Field of Study
Students in our American Psychological Association-accredited and National Association of School Psychologists-approved program benefit from our nationally recognized rigorous course of study and desirable location in the heart of the economically vibrant and demographically diverse Inland Empire. Our school psychologists are scientist-practitioners who contribute to the body of accumulated knowledge in the field while also addressing problems affecting K-12 pupils’ learning, behavior, and cognition.
Students complete our program having earned their PhD and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing credential in School Psychology. Graduates also have the opportunity to become Nationally Certified School Psychologists and licensed psychologists. Our graduates have in-demand skills and credentials that create ample opportunity for employment in either the public K-12 education sector or as faculty at postsecondary institutions in California and across the nation.
Highlights of the School Psychology PhD Program
- The program promotes an eco-behavioral theoretical model emphasizing skill development in school, clinic, and home environments using evidence-based practices.
- Program courses provide students with instruction in assessment and intervention within a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS), and applied work affords students an opportunity to apply those skills.
- Funding opportunities include those from the Graduate School of Education, Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) positions, teaching and research assistantships, Eugene Cota Robles Diversity Fellowship, and grants for travel and professional conferences
- The comparatively lower cost of living in California’s Inland Empire region further reduces the financial impact on students.
- The small cohort-based approach gives students ample opportunities to develop their research and clinical skills while interacting often with faculty.
- Mentorship by our faculty prepares students to publish in peer-reviewed journals and present research findings at major professional conferences.
- The program allows you to earn a CTC accredited Pupil Personnel Services credential concurrently with your PhD.